Sunday, August 9, 2009

DIY Address Book





It seems as though I have become the go to girl for all things paper when people can't seem to find exactly what they're looking for in the store; case in point, my Mom's new address book. I had never done anything like this before, in fact, I had to buy a Bind-it-All to get it done; but when she asked I just couldn't resist the challenge. Her specifications were simple: large bold print, three entries per page, a special section for birthdays and an individual section for each letter of the alphabet. She also wanted it BIG! The standard 5.5in x 7.5 in just wasn't cutting it given that she refuses to wear her eyeglasses so my first task was to size it up to a 9in x 9 in square. My supplies were as follows: drawing paper for the pages (thicker and has a nice texture), 110lb cardstock for the dividers, Microsoft Word to create the pages with a few free fonts from dafont.com, a guillotine trimmer to get the pages down to size, 170lb cardstock for the cover that I bought as a sample from Neenahpaper.com (perfect for when you only need a few sheets of specialty paper or cardstock), a large sheet of PS design paper from Paper Source (check out paper-source.com), PVC (a great book making glue), a one inch hole punch, my Circut Create and Fabulous Finds cartridge for the tabs on the side, eyelets and a manual eyelet setter to secure the tabs (I still can't figure out how to use that stinkin Crop-a-dile; I think I didn't get whatever gene you have to have to be able to operate that thing), and of course my Zutter Bind-it-All! Whew!!
It was a long process, but in the end it was worth it; hope you agree!

No comments:

Post a Comment